2 an award for winning a championship or commemorating some other event [syn: laurel wreath, medal, medallion, palm, ribbon]
3 the act of decorating something (in the hope of making it more attractive)
- Rhymes with: -eɪʃǝn
- The act of adorning, embellishing, or honoring; ornamentation.
- That which adorns, enriches, or beautifies; something added by way of embellishment; ornament.
- Specifically, any mark of honor to be worn upon the person, as a medal, cross, or ribbon of an order of knighthood, bestowed for services in war, great achievements in literature, art, etc.
act of adorning
that which adorns
any mark of honor to be worn upon the person
- Dutch: decoratie, medaille
- Finnish: kunniamerkki
- French: décoration
- Italian: decorazione
- Portuguese: condecoração
Decoration may refer to:
- Decorative art, the craft of a painter and decorator.
- An object or act intended to increase beauty of a person, room, etc.
- An object, such as a medal, that is awarded to honor the recipient ostentatiously: see List of prizes, medals, and awards.
- Interior decoration, the internal finishing of a building.
- Name decoration is a technique used in most programming languages.
- Decoration, Japanese street fashion category.
decoration in German: Dekoration
decoration in French: Décoration
decoration in Indonesian: Dekorasi
decoration in Italian: Decorazione
decoration in Norwegian: Dekorasjon
abstract art, accolade, adjunct, adornment, armory, arrangement, art, art form, artist, arts and crafts, arts of design, award, badge, badge of office, badges, baton, bays, beautification, beauty treatment, blazonry, blue ribbon, bonus, brassard, button, calligraphy, cap and gown, cave art, ceramics, chain, chain of office, class ring, cockade, collar, color, color patterns, colors, cordon, cordon bleu, cross, decor, decoration of honor, design, designing, distinction, dress, eagle, elaboration, embellishment, emblazonment, emblazonry, emblems, embroidery, engraving, ensigns, etching, extra, extra added attraction, extra dash, facial, fasces, figurehead, filigree, filling, fillip, fine arts, fleur-de-lis, flourish, flower arrangement, folk art, frill, furniture arrangement, garnish, garnishment, garniture, garter, gold star, grand cordon, graphic arts, hairdressing, hammer and sickle, heraldry, illumination, insignia, kudos, lagniappe, lapel pin, laurel, laurels, livery, mace, manicure, mantle, markings, medal, mortarboard, old school tie, order, ornament, ornamentation, padding, photography, pin, plastic art, premium, prettification, primitive art, red ribbon, regalia, riband, ribbon, ring, rose, school ring, sculpture, shamrock, sigillography, skull and crossbones, something extra, sphragistics, staff, star, stuffing, superaddition, swastika, tartan, the arts, thistle, tie, trim, trimming, twist, uniform, verge, wand, window dressing, wrinkle